Struggling with too many devices to be used at the same time that too with a slim laptop? Fret
not, now we have come up with a wonderful solution, called port hubs.
Table of Contents
Insights of port hubs:
To begin with, let’s try to understand the term in a better way. What is a port hub?
It is a compact device that comprises various port types like USB 3.0, USB 2.0, HDMI,
ETHERNET, etc. Also in some hubs, there’s an additional feature of the presence of SD
and TF card readers which serve an excellent purpose in transferring files from one device to
the other like that in cameras. It is also widely used to charge devices due to its fast-charging
Port hubs are required by people of all age groups ranging from school students for attending
their online classes up to junior and senior employees associated with a firm to collaborate with
their colleagues. It’s the need of the hour. Moreover, it adds an extra layer of productivity and
convenience to the workplace.
Why use port hubs?
Keeping the current public demand in concern, the trend of slimmer and lightweight laptops has
gained the limelight. As the number of slimmer laptops has increased, the number of ports in the
same has decreased. Now the plus point is that they are better portable but at the same time,
the problem is, it’s difficult to work with multiple devices at a time with these laptops.
Now, this issue is worth addressing, so what could be its possible solution? Well, the solution is
the one and only “port hubs”! They provide a medium to connect multiple devices with laptops at
ease, thus solving the problem.
You’d regret buying a port hub if you won’t check out these!
There are a variety of port hubs available in the market, some differences in size, others in
quality, and some in price as well. Now it’s nearly impossible for a common man to choose
between all of these various combinations and options available so let us ease it out for you.
Let’s peep into what to prioritize while getting one for yourself to avoid regretting later:
- No. and variety of ports- The more the no. Of ports in the port hub, more would be the devices’ connectivity.
- USB versions supported- It’s always better to go for the latest version to avoid
- compatibility issues.
- Size- The hub should have an optimum size, too small or too large hubs propose unnecessary issues.
- Portability- It should be highly portable to make commuting easier.
Types of port hubs
Broadly there are two types of port hubs i.e. powered port hubs and unpowered port hubs. Let’s
gauge into both of them;
Powered port hubs:-
- They connect to the external socket as a medium to draw power.
- It causes all the devices attached to the laptop to draw their power separately.
- It is a safer option to go for while accessing bigger gadgets like printers, scanners, etc.
Unpowered port hubs:-
- It doesn’t connect to the external socket to draw power.
- All the devices can draw their power from the laptop to which they are connected.
- The best option for connecting smaller devices such as mice, keyboards, chargers, etc.
Some best choices for port hubs on Amazon
1. Anker USB C Multimedia Hub
- 2 USB 3.0 Ports + 1 USB C Port
- 4K HDMI Port
- microSD + SD Card Reader
- 85W Laptop Charging through USB C Port
- 5 GBPS File transfer rate
2. SmartQ H302Pro USB 3.2 Type C HUB
- USB 3.2
- Type C
- 4 Ports
- 10 GBPS transfer rate
- For MacBook, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, Surface Pro, XPS, PC, Mobile HDD
3. SABRENT USB 2.0 DATA HUB
- USB 2.0
- 4 ports
- Individual port LED
4. BYEASY USB Hub
- USB 3.0
- 5 GB/S Data transfer Rate
- 4 USB Ports
- 3.2 feet cord
- Compatible with Windows PC, Mac, Printer, Mobile HDD
5. VEMONT 3.0 USB Splitter
- USB 3.0
- 7 ports
- Individual On/Off Switches and Light
- 4ft cord
- 5 GBPS transfer rate
6. MOKiN 9 in 1 USB C Adapter + multimedia hub
- 3 USB 3.0 + 2 USB C Ports
- USB C to 4K HDMI, USB C to RJ45
- USB C to SD/TF Card Reader
- UpTo 100W Charging
- 5 GBPS, 1 GBPS Data Transfer Rate
7. QGeeM USB C multimedia HUB
- 3 USB 3.0 + 2 USB C
- USB C to 4K HDMI
- 100W Power Delivery
- Card Reader
8. AorZ USB C Multimedia Adapter 7 in 1
- 3 USB 3.0
- 4K HMDI Port
- Individual port LED
- 5 GBPS Data Transfer Rate
- Supports almost all Type-C(USB-C) devices, Steam deck and thunderbolt 3 such as MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad Pro, Chromebook, etc.
9. USB 3.0 Splitter
- USB 3.0
- 7 port USB Data Hub
- Individual On/Off Switches & LED
- 5 GBPS Transfer Rate
- 18 Months Warranty
In conclusion, finding the best port hub for your specific needs can greatly enhance your productivity and connectivity. Whether you’re looking for a hub with multiple USB-A and USB-C ports, an HDMI port for video output, or an Ethernet port for a more stable internet connection, there are many options available on the market. Our research has shown that the best port hub is one that offers a balance between affordability, performance, and compatibility with your devices. With the right port hub, you can expand the capabilities of your laptop or desktop computer and streamline your workflow.
We hope this article has provided valuable insights into the world of port hubs and has helped you make an informed decision when choosing the best one for your needs.
Author: – Sakshi Tiwari
Editor: – Nishant